|No Users Online|
|2008-2009 COLAGE Fellowship Program:|
2008-2009 COLAGE Fellowship Program:
Focus on Transracial Adoption and LGBTQ Families
Do you have (or had) one or more LGBTQ parents?
Do you have personal experience with transracial adoption?
Do you want to build community and resources available to people transracially adopted by LGBTQ parents?
Come work at COLAGE and do groundbreaking work on youth with LGBTQ parents and transracial adoption.
COLAGE 2008-2009 Transracial Adoption Fellowship
Apply now to be the 2008-09 COLAGE Fellow. The fellowship will run for 7-9 months between September 2008 and May 2009. Fellowships are full-time (35 hours per week) positions. Each fellowship has a different topical focus of an issue of critical importance to the COLAGE community. For 2008-2009 we are seeking a Transracial Adoption Fellow who will do assessment, outreach, resource development and programming for youth with LGBTQ parents who were transracially adopted (both domestically and internationally). As full-time staff, COLAGE Fellows also have an opportunity to learn about national non-profit work including advocacy, research, community building programs and events, and leadership development programming.
This fellowship builds on the success of our Kids of Trans Fellowship during the 2007-08 year. Our fellow, Monica Canfield-Lenfest, spent 8 months in the COLAGE office specifically working on assessment, resource development, and community building for youth and adults with one or more transgender parents.
"This has been a great opportunity to develop much-needed resources for people with transgender parents. When my dad started her transition ten years ago, I felt so isolated and longed for a resource for me. Thanks to this fellowship, that resource guide will soon exist." – Monica Canfield-Lenfest, Kids of Trans Fellow, 2007-08
COLAGE is the only national organization working with our specific constituency, providing Fellows with a unique perspective on LGBTQ issues. Furthermore, as the lead staff on a new project to address the unique needs of transracially adopted COLAGErs (ie people with LGBTQ parents), the Transracial Adoption Fellow will have the chance to use their creativity and initiative to direct the project
COLAGE is a national movement of children, youth, and adults with one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/or queer (LGBTQ) parents. We build community and work toward social justice through youth empowerment, leadership development, education, and advocacy. Our office is based in San Francisco, CA and offers a unique opportunity to be part of a dynamic team.
"This fellowship allowed me to build upon my community organizing skills and to profoundly expand the breadth of my work in the COLAGE movement." – Monica Canfield-Lenfest, KOT Fellow, 2007-08
· Significant knowledge and/or experience with youth who have LGBTQ parents and/or youth who were adopted transracially
· Outstanding interpersonal skills, ability to cultivate relationships with a variety of people; must have demonstrated cultural competence in working with diverse populations, including communities of color, adoptees, LGBTQ persons, persons of varying ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, health status and abilities;
· Commitment to diversifying organizations and building anti-racist and multicultural alliances;
· Experience working with and planning events for youth and/or families;
· Excellent oral, writing, research, listening, and organizational skills;
· Computer literate (especially on PC's), knowledge of Office 97/2000, FileMaker Pro, HTML, and desktop publishing programs a plus.
· Self-motivated, flexible, and full of initiative.
· People with LGBTQ parent/s especially folks who were transracially adopted.
· Must be 18 or over. Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience preferred.
· Must be LGBTQ-positive.
· People of color, people who were transracially adopted, and people with LGBTQ parents especially encouraged to apply.
Fellowship participants receive a stipend which will depend on the experience of the candidate and length of the fellowship.
How to Apply
Please mail, email, or fax us the following information:
1. Your resume;
2. A cover letter sharing your interest in working for COLAGE and qualifications for this fellowship;
Please address your application materials to COLAGE Fellowship Program.
We will meet with interested, qualified candidates to explore the possibility of the COLAGE Transracial Adoption Fellowship being a good match. We would like to identify our fellow by June but if you are interested, let us know as soon as possible as there are some funding/grant opportunities we would love to pursue with you. The fellowship will begin as early as September 2008 and run for 7-9 months. Applications will be accepted until the fellowship is filled.
Need more info? Want to apply?
COLAGE, 1550 Bryant Street, Suite 830, San Francisco, CA 94103
|< Prev||Next >|